Super Simple Hacks

I made the easiest little games for Kat!  For one of the games, I took little envelopes and taped them onto a piece of paper and then I put little things in the envelopes.  Kat really liked pulling things out of the colorful envelops and putting them back in.  I think this would be a good little game to bring to church because it kept her sitting and quiet for awhile and she enjoyed it.


Another activity I made for Kat was I cut out cardboard shapes and colored them different colors (I just used the back of a notebook for the cardboard).  Then I traced the shapes onto a piece of paper. I colored the shapes matching colors so Kat knew that the pink triangle went with the pink triangle and the green square went with the green square, etc.

Kat enjoyed putting the cardboard shapes on top of their corresponding shape and color.  At first, Kat had a hard time with it but after playing with it for a little while, she understood the concept and liked it.

After Kat was able to put the cardboard shapes in the right spots when she had the colors to help her, I had her put the shapes in the right spots without the colors to help her (I just used the same piece of cardboard I used to make she shapes).  She was able to put all the shapes in the correct spots and now she points out shapes that she sees which is really awesome.
The puzzle activity I made for Kat was the easiest of all.  I took pictures of her and cut them in half in fun lines.  I didn't know if Kat would like these little puzzles or not, but she liked them a lot.  She would say, "baby! baby!" when she was doing the puzzles. I would ask Kat who the baby was and she would point to herself and say, "you!"  It was hilarious.  I guess I say, "you" while pointing to her so she thinks her name is "you."  I'm trying to fix that and help her understand the difference between "you" and "me".
A simple food hack is making Kat's food into smiley faces.  I couldn't get Kat to eat her blueberries until I made a smiley face out of them and then she gobbled them all up.  Most people know that kids prefer pretty food but I think a lot of parents think they don't have the skills or time to serve fancy food.  At least that's what I had always thought.  Then I realized how easy it is to make a child's food "pretty".  I don't have to make her food look like butterflies or zebras, I can just make super simple things and Kat doesn't seem to know the difference.
The last really simple life hack is to give your child two bowls, one spoon, and a lot of small foods.  We used raisins but I'm sure cereal or other little things would work too.  I asked her to transfer the raisins from one bowl to the other, it was good practice for using a spoon correctly (until she realized she could just dump the contents of the bowl into the other bowl and could completely skip the spoon).  I wasn't mad at all that she stopped using the spoon, I was really glad that she thought of a better way to do what I asked.  My dad taught me to teach my daughter what to do, not how to do it, unless she needs help of course, and I definitely want to do that.  I want to let her explore and learn from trying. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playdough Volcano

Riding in a Bike Trailer

Learning Game