Learning Game



    A few months ago, my neighbor gave me a bag full of random letters and random shapes (like the E, R, G, apple, and octopus in this picture).  This bag of random things just sat in Kat's room for months.  I had no idea what I would do with them but I figured I would eventually use them so I kept them.
     Well, eventually, I did use them.  I got the bag out and we started to just play with the different shapes and letters.  I would ask Kat, "what letter is this?" while holding up a letter or I would say, "What color is this?" while holding up a blue object.  It was fun for a while but Kat isn't even two yet so all she really wanted to do was run around. So I we put all the shapes out and some of the letters out and we spread them all around our floor.  I would then say, "Run to the letter R" and we would race to it.  Then I would say, "Run to the apple" and we would race each other there.  I would also say things like, "Run to something red" or "Run to a square."  We had a lot of fun running to different shapes and racing each other to get there first.
     After a while of playing with the shapes that my neighbor gave us, we took some old paintings we painted and pictures from a magazine and we made new things to look for on the ground (like the Christmas tree, moon, star, and girl in this picture).  We also added more and more letters and it was really cool to see Kat not recognize a letter that I said but find the letter on the ground that she didn't know.  Eventually, we will be able to play this game without me having to say the letters.  I will just have to say the sounds that the letters make and she will be able to find the letters.  I also plan on adding different ways to get to the different object.  Instead of run to this and run to that I will say skip to this and hop to that.  It has been fun and it was so easy to do.  It also entertained her for longer than only a few minutes which is impressive considering her age.

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Playdough Volcano

Riding in a Bike Trailer